Monday, March 3, 2014

Grateful for the Rain


I am so very grateful for the rains we've been getting for the past five days or so. I so appreciate the sound of the raindrops on our roof and on our deck. I love when the sound intensifies because I know we are getting more rain. It feels like every raindrop is precious.

As a child, in New York, I remember how a rainy day could squash a good time. We used to sing, "Rain rain go away, come again another day." But we're not singing that tune in the West these days.

Unlike New York, where it can rain at any time of the year, here in California it rains in the winter. I have found it remarkable to experience months with no rain at all. Winter is the rainy season and we can usually plan outdoor parties and events without concern through a large chunk of the year. When I first moved to this part of the country, I marveled at our ability to store cardboard boxes outdoors, under an overhang, without concern.

But the lack of rain, during the winter months, has become a concern. There's a narrow window of time for rainfall, and if it doesn't rain during that period we are out of luck, without much hope for precipitation during late Spring, Summer, or Fall.

They are calling this an extreme drought, with 27 California counties now considered "natural disaster areas" so that farmers can receive federal loans. That thinning window increases the concern over fires, farming, and water supply.

So, I am here today to express my appreciation for the rains we are now experiencing. Every drop of rain seems like a gift... because it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment