Sunday, October 27, 2013

I Am Grateful: Past, Present, and Future


There are so many things to be grateful for in my past, my present, and the future.

The Past: When I look at the past, I can choose what to focus on. I can choose what defines me. I may select painful memories and give them life in the present rather than letting them go. I may choose to focus on the many blessings of my past, and be thankful for them. Whether I deem any point in my history to be good or bad, a blessing or a curse, a positive or a negative, everyone of those moments have helped shaped me and brought me to where I am today. So, I have much to be thankful for in my past.

The Present: As I look around me, to the many gifts of my present day life, I have much to be thankful for. I have a family I love, a home that supplies shelter, redwood trees outside, a dog to cuddle with, creative outlets, a laptop computer, a washer and dryer, running water, food to eat, joy in my heart, and so much more. Are there difficulties? Yes. Do they negate all the positives? No. I have many reasons to smile throughout the day and I take the opportunity to do so. I am so very thankful for all that I have and the wonderfully gifted moments throughout any given day.

The Future: When I think of the future I get an inner flutter of excitement about the unfolding future and the possibilities of openings, surprises, and wonderful delights ahead. This is not to say I don't ever worry...I do. But there is so much to be thankful for in the future. I like to give thanks for all the gifts in store for me, for the possibilities, and benefits. If I am hoping for something in the future, I give thanks for it manifesting in my life, as if it has already happened or it's on the way.

Giving thanks for the past, present, and future doesn't deny the difficulties of life. The question is...Why deny all the gifts of life, and all there is to be thankful for, by allowing the painful moments to take center stage?

What are you grateful for today?

No comments:

Post a Comment