Saturday, December 14, 2013

Turn Ordinary Into Extraordinary

There are many actions we take throughout the day that become second nature. They are so much a part of our day that they become automatic...brushing our teeth, putting on shoes, walking up the stairs, or drinking a glass of water. Actions such as these are done without almost any thought...YET...if it became physically difficult to perform these tasks, for any reason, our automatic actions would suddenly take thought and possibly even struggle.

It is so easy to take things for granted when it involves something we do, or see, or experience every day. The world around us becomes a familiar background as we drive the kids to school or journey to work, walk the dog or pick up groceries. Our corner of the world grows smaller as we wrap ourselves in tasks and thoughts. In other words, we begin to take the bigger picture for granted and miss out on the things that make life more beautiful, easier, elegant, and even interesting.

How often do your chores become something to just finish up and get done? Last week, as I was making dinner, I was so very thankful that I could physically accomplish this task. And suddenly something I needed to do for my family went from "Oh well" to "Oh Wow!"  I even found the dreaded job of cleaning up the kitchen, after dinner, a remarkable accomplishment. I shifted my thinking from ordinary to extraordinary about something that takes place every day.

What are you taking for granted? Find things to be grateful for today that you wouldn't normally think of being thankful for.

(Check out Turn Ordinary into Extraordinary-2 where I added an image on the subject and a short post.)


No comments:

Post a Comment